Sunday, November 20, 2011

4x08 Lamia - a brief review

I've read some other reviews on this episode, and not a lot of them have been positive. Am I the only one that completely love it? Probably not. At last, the brilliant Angel Coulby got something to do this week. I love Gwen and Arthur together, but Gwen is an amazing character with so much more to give and severely underused. We got to see that wonderful Merlin/Gwen friendship that we haven't seen in a long time, and I hope that this episode reminds the creators to get these characters in more scenes together.
The knights fighting over the 'creature of the week' Lamia, who appears to be nothing more than a sweet girl was extremely...weird. I guess I'm used to them being all lovely and 'nice', and to see them being mean to Merlin and Gwen was hard too watch, though I thought it worked well in the story.
As for Gwen and Elyan, I was excited about this episode as I thought finally we would see them in a scene together and that perhaps the creators remembered they were related. We kind of got a little bit of them, but it was very dissapointing. Oh, and the scene where Elyan finally speaks to Gwen since 3x07, in the form of telling her off was actually pretty good, though Gwen should have reacted better. If my little bro addressed me with that tone, he wouldn't have needed a half-serpent/human girl to floor him. You should have brought along that water jug Gwen!
As for other aspects of the episode, it was lovely to see a concerned Arthur on the trail of Gwen, Merlin and his knights. Uncle Aggy reminded us he was evil, and we got to see a completely badass Gwen. Oh, and a very cute Arwen scene at the end.
Overall, I very much enjoyed this episode, even though it was a filler.
Verdict: 3 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment